Alkmonton, St John

Alkmonton, St John

The church of St John at Alkmonton was built in 1843 in the settlement which grew up between the deserted medieval villages of Hungry Bentley and Alkmonton.  The ancient font, excavated from a field in the 19th century, comes from the chapel of St. Nicholas founded in the 15th century to serve the community of the old village of Alkmonton.   A hospital dedicated to St. Leonard for female lepers was built here in 1100.   The hospital chapel was re-founded as a chantry chapel for the Blount family in 1406 and the hospital was re-endowed in 1474 to provide accommodation for seven poor men from the Blount estates.

Unusually for Derbyshire, the church is built in the Early English style of flint pebble, and recently traces of Pugin-style decoration have been uncovered in the nave.

The active local history group hold regular events in the church, displaying photographs and some of the old records.


Facilities

Church always open
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass

Long Lane
Alkmonton
Derbyshire
DE6 3DH

Mrs Rosemary Spencer
01335 330240

Open times:

Open every day

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE