Ambergate, St Anne

Ambergate, St Anne

The church building of St Anne’s at Ambergate is 121years old.  Spiritual care has been going on in the village since at least 1887.  Services had been held in turn at a small house on the Matlock road, a clubroom over the “White House” and at the “Hurt Arms.”  The stone for the new building was quarried locally from Ridgeway, the foundation stone was laid on the 25th of July 1891, and the opening and dedication ceremony was on February 13th 1892.

Apart from the railway, one of the major employers in Ambergate was the Wireworks. It was its owner, Mr J. Thewlis Johnson, who provided the money for the building of the church. Mr Hurt of nearby Alderwasley Hall donated the land, and it was built by Mr Joseph Glossop, a local builder and first churchwarden.

The core of the village in which it is set was originally called “Toadmoor” (The old moor) and the first record of the name “Ambergate” dates from 1837 in the building of the Wesleyan chapel, a name later adopted by the Midland Railway for their station.

The church at just above road level is the top storey of a three storey building. Inside the church there are many excellent Victorian stained glass windows, fragments of pre civil war stained glass, memorials for World Wars and for the Korean War. A marble statue intended for a destroyed Belgian church shows an angel protecting young Jesus from a snake.  The middle storey, built as a schoolroom, is now the church hall, with a stage and a kitchen, and is used currently for many village activities including Mums and Toddlers, the village Pantomime and parties. The toilet there already has disabled access. 


Interior, Ambergate
Interior, Ambergate

Facilities

Visit requires prior arrangement
Toilets
Access issues
Refreshments nearby
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Sculpture
Paintings
Architectural Features

Derby Road
Ambergate
Belper
Derbyshire
DE56 2EJ

Revd Val Hart
(01332) 550313

Open times: BACK TO RESULTS PAGE