Ashover, All Saints

Ashover, All Saints

All Saints Church was built between 1350 and 1419 by Thomas Babington (one of whose family members was later executed for plotting against Elizabeth1), although there has been a church in the village since at least 1086.

Visitor attractions include one of the few Norman lead fonts in England (buried for safety during the Civil War), old churchwarden's chest, a chancel screen erected by Babington in 1511, the alabaster tomb of Thomas Babington and his wife, a rare palimpsest, two unusual glass fire-extinguishers, and bells dating from 1625 including the only bell in the country to bear Napoleon's name

Outside are a stone coffin from about 1200 and a fine example of the stonemason's art -an intricate memorial carved from a single piece of stone.

The octagonal spire, reportedly built by Babington to mark the safe return of local men from Agincourt, rises 128 feet above the road.

Please note that car parking is available outside the Crispin Inn which is next door to the Church, also a few hundred yards away at the Parish Hall.  The Church path is uneven, so it is a little bumpy for wheelchair users.  There are toilet facilities for people with disabilities. Baby-changing facilities are also available. These are situated at the back of the Church, access via a ramp. 


New Cockerel, Ashover
Babbington Tomb
Carved Oak Reredos
Window, Ashover

Facilities

Church always open
Toilets
Refreshments nearby
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Sculpture
Architectural Features
Historical Significance
Famous Person

Church Street
Ashover
Derbyshire
S45 0AB


Open times: BACK TO RESULTS PAGE