Belper, Christ Church

Belper, Christ Church

Belper, in the middle of the Derwent Valley World Heritage Site, is the world's first mill town and is seen as the cradle of the industrial revolution. The town rapidly began to expand in the 1770s and in, 1850, Christ Church was built by mill owner and philanthropist George Henry Strutt (1826-95) to serve his mill workers.

Perhaps the most striking feature of the church building is the reredos screen, behind the altar, with its depiction of the twelve apostles and the Apostles' Creed, above which three angels support a highly decorated baldacchino. The hand-worked kneelers are all made by members of the congregation. The sanctuary lamp, above the altar, was brought to Christ Church from a London church which had been destroyed in the Blitz of World War II, and the large wooden statue of Saint Laurence in the south east window once stood in the chapel of the old Belper Convent of Saint Laurence.


Interior, Christ Church, Belper
Interior, Christ Church, Belper

Facilities

Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Paintings
Architectural Features

Bridge Street
Belper
Derbyshire
DE56 1BA

Revd Jonathan Page
01773 824974

Open times:

(for services)

Sundays 7.45am-12.00pm, 6.30pm-7.30pm
Wednesdays 9.30am-10.30am
Thursdays 6.30pm-7.30pm
Saturdays 9.30am-10.30am

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE