Belper, St Swithun

Belper, St Swithun

Built in 1912-3 as a Mission Church, St Swithun’s has always been part of St Peter's Parish in Belper.

The church has a simple but beautiful nave and chancel, fairly typical of its date.   Though built to seat 250 on tightly spaced pews, it now has 100 very comfortable chairs, making it a wonderful multi-purpose building.     .

The church (together with the church house and church hall, both no longer owned) was entirely funded by Mrs Elizabeth Hanson in memory of her husband Isaac who had been a partner in Brettles, a large hosiery business in Belper

For many years the church was staffed by the Church Army.

There are 2 memorial windows.

Please note level access is from the church car park off Glen View (DE56 1PE)   There is a steep ramp at the side door where there is a doorbell.  You are recommended not to use the ramp without assistance.

It is often possible to park on Holbrook Road but there is a step up from the pavement.

The church’s toilet is wheel chair friendly.


Facilities

Visit requires prior arrangement
Toilets
Access issues
Car park

Features

Stained Glass
Architectural Features

Holbrook Road
Belper
Derbyshire
DE56 1PA

Philip or Angela Thomas
01773 824149

Open times:

Open Sunday mornings 10:30am- 12:15pm or by prior arrangment

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE