Brassington, St James

Brassington, St James

Welcome to St James, Brassington.  St James is a church at the heart of the village.

The church is a Norman church- built around 1150AD and has a font from the same period. It was extended and partially rebuilt in 1880. Items of interest in the church include a Jacobean oak Bishop's chair and a large coat of arms, which hasn't been over painted, but retains the inscription to George III.

Standing outside the church the visitor can take in the wonderful views over the village to the hills beyond.

The church's annual Wakes Week begins on the nearest Saturday to 25th July. Sunday evening of Wakes week there is an open-air service with a brass band.

Please note there is on the road parking next to the church. The church is set up on a steep hill. There are two access points- the main gate has a gentle slope up to the church but at the church itself there are four steps. The alternative access is via steps and so not suitable for disabled access.


Facilities

Church always open
Toilets
Access issues
Refreshments nearby

Features

Paintings

Church Street
Brassington
Matlock
Derbyshire
DE4 4HJ

Wirksworth Team Office
01629 824707

Open times:

Open daily 9.00am- dusk

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE