Boylestone, St John

Boylestone, St John

Welcome to St. John the Baptist, Boylestone.  There has been a church in Boylestone since at least 1272 when Robert, the parson was imprisoned in Tutbury for refusing to thresh the bailiff's corn! For most of its life Boylestone has been a quiet place.

One of the events which brought it to the attention of the outside world came during the Civil War when in May 1644 a detachment of 200 royalist soldiers decided to use the church as a billet for the night. During the night a detachment of Parliamentarian cavalry surrounded the church and ordered the royalists to surrender immediately or the church would be fired with them inside.  They surrendered and filed out through the chancel door.

There was a major rebuilding and restoration of the church overseen by architect Henry Duesdbury in 1843-4. The tower may be modelled on the tower of the abbey church of Laach on the Rhine.  The church has carved reredos to the altar depicting the Last Supper (in the style of Leonardo da Vinci's Last Supper).

Please not that there is a step into the church, but a ramp is kept in the porch and can quickly be put in place.

Font, Boylestone
Boylestone Interior


Church always open
Access issues
Car park
Place for quiet reflection


Architectural Features

The Square

Revd Jane Legh - Associate Priest (SSM)
01335 330297 / or Mrs Geraldine Owen (Warden)

Open times:

Open daily throughout the working day