Chapel-en-le-Frith, St Thomas Becket

Chapel-en-le-Frith, St Thomas Becket

There has been a church on this site since 1225 when the woodcutters of the Royal Forest of the Peak decided to build a chapel in a clearing in the forest.  Parts of the church’s foundations, the lower sections of its walls and the piscine probably date from the original building, but the rest of the church is mainly 14th century. 

A Saxon cross in the churchyard indicates that there may have been a church here prior to the foresters’ chapel.  The south porch, south aisle and tower were rebuilt in 1733.  The chancel was rebuilt and alterations made in 1893.

The church was used as a prison in 1648, holding 1,500 prisoners, following the battle at Ribblesdale Moor.


Facilities

Toilets
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Paintings
Architectural Features
Historical Significance

Market Place
Chapel-en-le-Frith
High Peak
SK23 0EN

Reverend COLIN Graham PEARSON
01298 938200 (Priest in Charge [Part time]) or 01298 938200 (Area Dean, Peak Deanery [Part time])

Open times:

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE