Fenny Bentley, St Edmund, King & Martyr

Fenny Bentley, St Edmund, King & Martyr

The beautiful and tranquil church of St Edmund's King and Martyr sits within the Peak District National Park, at the centre of the Fenny Bentley village two miles north of Ashbourne. Originally a chapelry of Ashbourne, it became a parish in the 13th century.

The early church dates back to Norman times, later additions were made in the 13th and 14th centuries. Major renovations were undertaken between 1847 and 1850. The spire was added in 1864. The church is listed Grade II* and designed in the Decorated style.

The church features a painted side chapel ceiling manufactured from sheet aluminium, dating from around 1880. Within the side chapel a dramatic shrouded tomb to Thomas Beresford and his wife Agnes Hassall can be found. Thomas Beresford lived at Bentley Hall and raised a private army to fight at the battle of Agincourt. He died in 1473.

Please note that parking is available roadside, next to the church.


Organ, Fenny Bentley
St Edmund, Fenny Bentley
Tower, Fenny Bentley
Interior, Fenny Bentley

Facilities

Church always open
Refreshments nearby
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass
Sculpture
Paintings
Architectural Features
Historical Significance

Ashes Lane
Fenny Bentley
Ashbourne
Derbyshire
DE6 1LD

The Rev’d Carollyn McDonald
carollyn4ashbourne@sky.com or Mr Stone: diggerstone@btinternet.com (Warden)

Open times:

Daylight hours

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE