Great Longstone, St Giles

Great Longstone, St Giles

Great Longstone is a very old settlement. It is recorded in the Domesday Book (1086), and is mentioned several times in 12th century documents. It was originally in the Parish of Bakewell, and was one of the Chapelries of the Collegiate Church of Bakewell.

We do not know when the first church was built, but the lower parts of some of the external walls of this building are at least as old as the 13th century. However, we do know that in 1262 Griffin, son of Wenuwyn, a Welsh Prince, founded a Chantry in Longstone. A Chantry is an endowment for the singing of Masses, but the word also means its chapel or priests.

Perhaps that chapel was the earliest building on this site, and was probably not very different in size from the present building.

We do not know much about what happened to the church between the 16th and 19th centuries. Photographs taken before the restoration of 1872 show the usual muddle of box pews and a high pulpit. Contemporary accounts suggest that the building was getting into a bad state.

The London architect, Richard Norman Shaw, restored the church in 1872, securing the fabric and particularly the wonderful medieval roofs, and provided new pews and choir stalls in oak, and a new pulpit. Much of the stained glass was added during the next 25 years under Shaw's supervision.

Please note that there are church guide books for sale in the church at £1 each, which include additional information.

Ceiling, Great Longstone
Pulpit, Great Longstone
South Aisle, Great Longstone
Interior, Great Longstone


Church always open
Place for quiet reflection


Stained Glass
Architectural Features
Historical Significance

Church Lane
Great Longstone
DE45 1TB

Revd James Croft (Vicar)
01629 640257 /

Open times:

Open daily 9.00am - dusk