Over Haddon, St Anne

Over Haddon, St Anne

The church, which was built in 1880 in the decorated gothic style of architecture, consists of nave with porch on the south side, chancel with vestry on north side, and a baptistry at the western end of the nave. The church is built of limestone which contrasts with the sandstone details to the windows, doors, and arches (more details in the leaflets in church). The church was extended in 2001, giving disabled entrance & toilet facilities.

The church is frequently visited by walkers & tourists and the peace & quiet experienced here is much commented on. The views from the graveyard are fantastic and many walkers stop and sit on the benches.  The most famous gravestone is that of Sir Maurice Oldfield, a former head of the MI6.  There is also a memorial to Charles John Abraham, first Bishop of Wellington, New Zealand 1858 - 1870. He was Canon Precentor at Lichfield Cathedral in 1880 and died in Bakewell in 1903, aged 88. 

The reredos is of local stone and is divided into three panels. The centre panel has a Latin cross in gold mosaic surrounded by red mosaic, the left panel shows a combined alpha and omega (the beginning and the end) whilst the right panel has the star of David. An enriched cornice runs along the top of the reredos and the panels are separated by vertical bands of pateras and finished with marble shafts. The chancel screen is a first-class piece of art formed of arcades with serpentine shafts, the pulpit desk being placed on the top of the north side of the screen and supported by miniature serpentine pillars.

The sundial on the south wall is a must see, being the work of by David Kindersley in memory of Janet Wadsworth who is buried in the graveyard. (more details on the website and in church).

Nave Ceiling, St Anne, Over Haddon


Church always open
Refreshments nearby
Place for quiet reflection


Architectural Features
Famous Person

Dale Road
Over Haddon
DE45 1JE

The Revd Tony Kaunhoven (Vicar)
(01629) 814462 / tony.kaunhoven@derby.anglican.org or Roger Truscott (Warden) 01629 812327

Open times:

During daylight hours