Stanley, St Andrew

Stanley, St Andrew

The church of St Andrew, Stanley is a small and ancient edifice of stone and consists of a chancel, with porch, vestry and a bell tower on the western gable, containing two bells dated 1661.  The small round-headed Norman dove in the south wall gives evidence of the existence of a church on the site in the 12th century.  A small lancet light nearby is Early English, no doubt rebuilt about 1200.  The nave has a small piscina and there is an octagonal 14th century font.  The pulpit is of oak, of Jacobean date. 

At the west end of the church is a royal coat of arms of William III and his wife Mary II.  The coat of arms was cleaned and restored in 1964, revealing its true colours and intricate detail.

The church has strong links with the community, including a monthly ‘Cake & Co.’ in the village hall.

Please note that parking is available on the road adjacent to the church.  There are no steps to negotiate to enter the church.


Facilities

Visit requires prior arrangement
Refreshments nearby

Features

Stained Glass
Paintings
Architectural Features

Station Road
Stanley
Derbyshire
DE7 6EX

Revd Gill Turner-Callis (Rector)
0115 9324695 / benefice4rev@gmail.com

Open times:

Wednesdays & Thursdays

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE