Wormhill, St. Margaret of Antioch

Wormhill, St. Margaret of Antioch

Situated amid woodland, the quiet and peaceful sanctuary of St. Margaret of Antioch parish church is at the heart of the Peak District National Park in the village of Wormhill. The church also serves the larger community of Peak Dale.

This grade II* listed building, was originally built as a chapel in 1273, at the request of inhabitants, when Wormhill was part of Tideswell parish and an important settlement within the Royal Forest of the Peak. A sketch from a 19th century manuscript, which can currently be viewed at the back of the church, shows the chapel with its distinctive ‘saddleback’ tower.

The medieval former village cross, now sundial base, is also a listed monument and is situated within the churchyard.

In 1859, Wormhill became a separate parish and in 1863-4 the, by now dilapidated, church was rebuilt, with the generous help of the Bagshawe family, by architect T H Rushforth of London. It reopened on 16th June 1864.

All that remains of the medieval building is the lower part of the tower and part of the north wall of the nave. The present unusual ‘helmet’ steeple was added to the tower when it was heightened, and is one of only two in England. The peal of 6 bells is still being rung, and for many years was the lightest ringing peal of 6 bells in England. Beautiful wood carving by the Hunstone family of Tideswell, Pollit organ and stained glass memorial windows can also be enjoyed. Reverend William Bagshawe, the ‘Apostle of the Peak’, preached his first sermons here and James Brindley, the 18th century mill and canal engineer was born and baptised in the parish.

St Margaret’s is once again part of Tideswell Parish whilst still retaining its status as a parish church. An evening service is held on Sundays at 6.30pm (3pm family friendly service on the 3rd Sunday) except on the 5th Sunday in the month. The church hosts social events such as exhibitions during Wormhill well-dressings week (late Summer Bank Holiday week) and a well dressing is sited in the churchyard.

St. Margaret is the patron saint of women, nurses and peasants.

All visitors, including the above, will be warmly received.


Facilities

Features

Wormhill
Buxton
Derbyshire
SK17 8SL

Revd Simon White (Vicar)
01298 871317 / inigodexter@me.com

Open times: BACK TO RESULTS PAGE